One week Special! 2022-2023 Advanced ELAR & Writing AND Class Set of 25 Hard Copy Class Set of 25 11" x 17" Folders & Graphic Organizers
SPECIAL IN HONOR OF MY DAUGHTER CHARISE'S BIRTHDAY ON HALLOWEEN!
25 CLASS SETS OF 11" X 17" ELAR & WRITING FOLDERS AND 25 CLASS SETS OF 11" X 17" GRAPHIC ORGANIZERS FOR REGULAR MULTIPLE CHOICE READING, EDITING, REVISING, CONSTRUCTED RESPONSE, SHORT ANSWER, EXTENDED ESSAY RESPONSE QUESTIONS!!!
WITH THE CHANGES COMING IN TEXAS WITH THE NEW ELAR TEKS, THESE FOLDERS HAVE BEEN UPDATED TO PREPARE STUDENTS IN GRADES 3-10 TO BE ABLE TO RESPOND TO QUESTIONS THAT WILL BE REGULAR MULTIPLE CHOICE, SHORT CONSTRUCTED, OPEN ENDED SHORT ANSWERED, AND EXTENDED/ESSAY RESPONSES IN FORMAT.
STARTING IN THE SPRING 2023 TEST IN TEXAS, ONLY 75% OR LESS OF QUESTIONS OR LESS CAN BE REGULAR MULTIPLE CHOICE ACCORDING TO THE NEWLY PASSED HOUSE BILL.
1. ONE AND TWO POINT SHORT CONSTRUCTED RESPONSES:
Checklist of ALL possible New Question One or Two Point Constructed Response Items in all the possible online formats your students can receive on field tested and actual test items starting next school year. (2022-2023)
2. SHORT ANSWER OPEN ENDED TWO POINT RESPONSES:
One section is dedicated to a simple strategy for short answer questions that require a complete sentence as a response for the first point and a reminder to show where there is evidence in the text for why your answer is correct using the actual text as evidence to receive the second point.
3. EXTENDED ESSAY 5/10 POINT RESPONSES
PLANS AND OUTLINES FOR BOTH THE OPINION ARGUMENTATIVE AND INFORMATIVE EXPOSITORY ESSAYS
Brainstorming/Planning using WWE for these type of question
The first W for the WOW is What Original Words can or should I use from the question in my response?
The 2nd WOW for your on level students can be What Original Way can I answer the question using words other than the exact words from the question. The graders want to know the answer to the question; they don't need all of your students to restate it since they already know what the question is! Requiring ALL of your students to restate or repeat the exact words of the question before or during their response will create too much repetition from one response to the next.
The last WOW in brainstorming for your more advanced and/or upper grade level students is What Original Way can I go about answering the question? What Original Words from the text can I use as my evidence that will indeed answer the question AND give textual evidence BUT do it in a unique way?
ANSWERING THE PROMPT:
Even though the 10-point extended essay questions are going to be in the form of statements, if your students are reading carefully, they will notice that very specific questions are being asked in the prompt.
W-What is the central/controlling idea, or thesis statement that answers the question in a complete sentence?
WHAT IS MY CLAIM OR OPINION IN A COMPLETE SENTENCE
The second W will be Where and/or the Why. Which line(s), sentence(s), scene(s), stanza(s), section(s) paragraph(s) or passage(s)/selection(s) will I be referring to when I answer the question. For both purposes of writing, you will want to make sure you're letting the reader know why you chose your answer and where the evidence is that you're going to use.
EVIDENCE/EXPLAINED: What is the actual Evidence/"Evidence" I will be using to Explain and Express my response so that I have the best possible chance of earning the three points possible from TWO different readers for a two of six points in what is called the organization and development of the response? These first two sections are 60% of the possible points your students can earn on the extended essay question.
Ending/ in order to qualify for a two from each reader the paper must have an introduction and an ending. In order for the paper to have a chance for a three, the rubric states that the opening and closing must be effective, not just present.
4. An Editing section to help students remember what to look for when they are editing their own essays or trying to edit passages. The focus is on capitalization, usage, punctuation, sentence boundaries-run-ons & fragments, and spelling with different visual strategies to help your students remember important concepts and skills. The Editing/Conventions skills on the extend/essay response are worth up to TWO points each from TWO different readers based on the last bullet AND the draft rubric that has been released. That means that the Conventions skills in the response are 40% of the total possible points.
(All reading students from 3rd-10th grade will receive TWO editing passages using the same key words that are mentioned in the Editing portion of the folder for each of the 3 question types. Please take notice that the CORRECT acronym for editing is CUPSS with TWO Ss. Most posters and acronyms leave out this important S: Sentence Boundary problems such as run-ons and fragments WILL be part of the editing questions your students will receive from 3rd all the way to 10th grade.)
5. The revising section guides your students in knowing when to add, remove, replace, or move words, phrases, transitions, sentences and/or paragraphs on their extended/essay responses. This is known as improving the content, the organization and development of the response.
(All reading students in 3rd-10th grade will receive TWO revising passages that can be addressed using the acronym ARM in the Revising portion of the folder. On all previous editing tests in Texas the word Substitute has rarely if ever been used in a revising question. I haven't found one in 18 years of helping schools with writing. With this purchase, you will receive a digital copy of all of the key word strands that can be used for any revising question from 3rd-10th grade. Just let me know if you don't receive this!)
6. A cursive and print alphabet is visible for your students who have trouble with letter formations and/or dyslexia/dysgraphia. Yes, starting next school year, all Texas tests will be online, BUT you AND your student should continue to use paper, pencil, and pen during the modeling and learning process. Writing is an art that takes practice. Don't completely abandon paper and pencil work in your classroom! It will NOT be in the best interest of your students! Typing/keyboarding skills develop over time and repetition, so I do understand the need to transition to more computer driven practice and testing. I just feel that if the kids don't even know their letter shapes and sizes such as capitalization on paper, you will have a very difficult time transitioning to all online computer responses. :)
7. Dozens of figurative language examples (onomatopoeia, similes, metaphors, hyperboles, idioms, and personification)
8. The word choices of your students will help with the depth of their response. The back portion of the folder has several hundred word choices that can be used as synonyms that can replace overused worn out words. It is critical that your grade level work as a team in all subjects to constantly be adding vocabulary that is learned each week to an ever growing "word bank". Reading questions will be reading TEKS driven, but there will be content and vocabulary from ALL subjects and grade levels up to and including the grade level they are in on the reading genres/passages/selections.
IMPORTANT!!! IF YOU TEACH ENGLISH ONE OR TWO STUDENTS WHO WILL BE RETESTING IN DECEMBER, YOU WILL WANT THE OLDER VERSION AS WELL FOR THOSE KIDS. MENTION THIS IN YOUR NOTES WHEN PLACING YOUR ORDER, AND I WILL SEND YOU A DIGITAL COPY OF HOW TO DO WELL ON REGULAR EXPOSITORY AND PERSUASIVE. THOSE ESSAYS WILL STILL BE WORTH UP TO 16 TOTAL POINTS IF YOUR STUDENTS GET TWO FOURS FROM THE READERS.
This is a great resource for students to use right at their desks without having to walk around your classroom looking at posters or come to your desk over and over for help.
25 11" X 17" GRAPHIC ORGANIZERS TO GUIDE YOUR STUDENTS IN READING, EDITING, REVISING, CONSTRUCTED RESPONSE, SHORT ANSWER RESPONSE, AND EXTENDED ESSAY RESPONSE QUESTIONS THAT GO RIGHT ALONG WITH THE ADVANCED ELAR & WRITING FOLDERS!
FEEL FREE TO EMAIL US AT WRITING_DOCTOR@YAHOO.COM IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN ANY OF THE OTHER NINE DIGITAL PRODUCTS LISTED AND WOULD LIKE A BRIEF EXPLANATION.
We Also Recommend
Digital 2022-2023 DEAR DOC ELAR/Writing Binder: Daily Editing/Extended/Essay and Revising/Reading of Development, Organization, & Conventions)
11 DIGITAL COPIES OF OUR 2022-2023 MOST POPULAR ELAR & WRITING PRODUCTS (ONLY $25!)
2022-2023 Digital 8.5" x 11" Advanced Writing ELAR Folders with New Question Type Checklist